Central Luzon’s total volume of municipal fisheries production decreased by 4.7 percent in the first quarter of 2023.
Central Luzon’s total volume of municipal fisheries production was recorded at 11,422.3 metric tons in 2023. It registered decrease of 4.7 percent or 563.0 metric tons from its 2022 production.
Marine municipal fisheries production declined by 14.4 percent from the recorded 8,169.6 metric tons in 2022. On the other hand, inland fisheries increased by 16.1 percent from its 3,815.6 metric tons in 2022 to 4,428.7 metric tons in the first quarter of 2023. (Refer to Figure 1 and Table 1)
Marine municipal fisheries accounted more than half (61.2%) of the total municipal fisheries production while inland municipal fisheries comprised the remaining 38.8 percent. (Refer to Figure 2)
The 14.4 percent decrease in total production of marine municipal fisheries in the region was attributed to the 34.8 percent and 17.78 percent decline in the provinces of Bataan and Pampanga, respectively. (Refer to Figure 3)
Pampanga, which contributed 75.1 percent of the total inland fisheries production in the region, increased by 26.78 percent from its 2,623.0 metric tons in 2022 to 3,325.4 metric tons in 2023. Likewise, Bulacan posted an increased in the inland fisheries production by 48.83 percent. On the other hand, all other provinces in Central Luzon posted a decreased in inland fisheries this quarter. (Refer to Figure 4)
In the first quarter of 2023, Squid recorded the highest share to Central Luzon’s total production in marine municipal fisheries at 14.4 percent, followed by yellowfin tuna (12.7%) and skipjack (11.8%). Meanwhile, the top three major species in inland municipal fisheries were tilapia (20.6%), carp (14.5%) and gourami (9.1%). (Refer to Table 3 and 4)
The Fisheries Production Survey of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) is divided into four (4) major fisheries surveys. These are the Quarterly Commercial Fisheries Survey (QCFS), Quarterly Municipal Fisheries Survey (QMFS), Quarterly Inland Fisheries Survey (QIFS) and Quarterly Aquaculture Survey (QAqS).
The QMFS gathers information on the volume and price of species unloaded in the landing center. However, unlike QCFS, it covers fishing operations performed in marine waters within 15 kilometers from the shoreline using fishing vessels of three (3) gross tons or less, or fishing not requiring the use of fishing vessels. In Central Luzon, QMFS is conducted in Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan, Pampanga and Zambales.
The QIFS gathers information on volume and price of species caught by inland fishing household. Inland Fisheries covers fishing operations performed in inland bodies of water using fishing vessels of three (3) gross tons or less, or fishing not requiring the use of fishing vessels. QIFS is conducted in all provinces in Central Luzon.
Inland municipal fisheries included fishing activities in inland bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, dams, marshes, swamps, etc. The unit of enumeration for QIFS is the household engaged in inland fishing.
The sampling frame for QMFS was established in 2000 through a nationwide listing of landing centers (LCs). Updating of the lists was conducted over the years. It employed a two-stage stratified random sampling with the landing centers as the first-stage sampling units and the fishing boats as the second stage sampling units. The landing centers were stratified based on volume of fish unloaded. However, starting second quarter of 2022, the redesigned QMFS utilized the 2021 Listing of Marine Fish Landing Centers (LMFLC) as the sampling frame and new sample selection procedure. The province was the domain of the survey.
The reference and enumeration periods by survey round are as follows: