Volume of Palay Production in Central Luzon First Quarter 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-SRPP-Q12020-067

Release Date: 

Friday, August 14, 2020

Central Luzon’s total palay production went down by 9.1 percent

Central Luzon’s total palay production was estimated at 663,358 metric tons constituting 15.6 percent of the total palay production in the country in the first quarter of 2020. It was followed by Western Visayas with 632,636 metric tons (14.8 percent share) and Cagayan Valley with 594,651 metric tons (14.0 percent share). Central Luzon still remained as the top palay producer despite the 9.1 percent decrease in the volume of production compared to that of the first quarter of 2019 (see Figure 1 and Table 1).

 

The 9.1 percent decline in the total palay production of the region was attributed to the decreases in the volume of palay production in Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac, and Aurora. On the other hand, Bataan, Zambales and Bulacan recorded 26.7 percent, 25.2 percent, and 6.3 percent increases on palay production, respectively (see Table 2).

Bulk of the palay produced during the first quarter of 2020 is irrigated palay comprising 99.4 percent of the total production, whereas, the remaining 0.6 percent is rainfed palay (see Figure 2).

During the first quarter of 2020, the region’s total palay production registered 66,516 metric tons (9.1 percent) decrease with reference to the first quarter of 2019.  Likewise, irrigated palay declined by 9.2 percent.  On the other hand, a slight increase of 0.8 percent was recorded for rainfed palay (see Figure 3).

During the first quarter of 2020, Nueva Ecija remained the top palay producer in the region accounting for 28.4 percent (188,512 metric tons) of Central Luzon’s total palay production.  Next was Tarlac with 23.8 percent share (158,069 metric tons) and Pampanga with 20.0 percent share (132,606 metric tons). Cumulatively, the volume of production of Bulacan, Bataan, Zambales, and Aurora comprised the remaining 27.8 percent (see Figure 4).

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

 

Estimates of volume of palay production are generated from the Quarterly Palay Production Survey (PPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year, that is, January, April, July and October.

 

The objective of the survey is to generate estimates on palay production. The purpose of this survey is to provide data inputs for policy and programs on rice. The reference and enumeration periods by survey round are as follows:

Definition of terms

Production – refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested during the reference period. It includes those harvested but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvester’s share, reserved, etc. Production from seed growers is excluded from the survey.

Irrigated palay – palay area with irrigation facilities that supply water to the farm through gravity, force/power, pump, etc.

Rainfed palay – palay grown in this ecosystem has dikes that retain water and is solely dependent upon rainfall for its water supply. In this special release, production in rainfed also includes those in upland. Palay grown in upland does not have amenities for standing water. It is usually located along elevated lands, along rivers, between hills, hillsides, etc. Upland type is confined not only to high places or hillsides but also to low areas having no facilities for standing water.

Attachments: