Volume of Corn Production in Central Luzon, January to June 2018

Reference Number: 

2019-SRCP-S12018-010

Release Date: 

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Central Luzon Ranks Sixth in Corn Production in the First Semester of 2018

In the first half of 2018, Central Luzon ranked sixth in terms of volume of corn production in the country.  The total corn production in the region was estimated at   0.2 million metric tons (Figure 1).  It contributed 6.6 percent to the total corn production in the country (Table 1).  It increased by 6.7 percent compared with the production in January to June 2017 which was reported at 231,435 metric tons (Figure 2).      

 

In January to June 2018, yellow corn comprised 88.9 percent of the total volume of production of corn in the region and the remaining 11.1 percent was white corn.  The volume of yellow corn production was reported at 219,494 metric tons, which posted an increment of 5.8 percent compared with the production in the first half of 2017.  White corn production, which was estimated at 27,477 metric tons, also increased by             14.9 percent compared with that in January to June 2017, which was reported at 23,907 metric tons (Figure 2).  

Tarlac is the top producer of corn in the region from January to June 2018.  It accounted more than half or 52.9% of the region’s total volume of corn production.  This was followed by Pampanga contributing one-fourth to the region’s total corn production.  Nueva Ecija contributed 10.7 percent while the remaining 11.1 percent was contributed by Aurora, Bulacan, Bataan and Zambales (Figure 3). 

Table 2 presents the volume of corn production in the region by province and period.  In the first half of 2018, first quarter volume of production (124,654 metric tons) accounted for 50.5 percent of the region’s total corn production.  Meanwhile, the second quarter volume of production (122,317 metric tons) accounted for                     49.5 percent.  Corn production in Aurora and Bataan during the first semester of 2018 decreased compared with that of the same period in 2017.  Meanwhile, corn production in the rest of the provinces increased compared with their respective production in the first half of 2017. 

 

 

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

Estimates of volume of corn production are generated from the Quarterly Corn Production Survey (CPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year, that is, January, April, July and October. 

The objective of the survey is to generate estimates on corn production.  The purpose of this survey is to provide data inputs for policy and programs on corn.  The reference and enumeration periods by survey round are as follows:

Definition of terms

Production – refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested during the reference period.  It includes those harvested but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvester’s share, reserved, etc.  Production from seed growers is excluded from the survey.

White corn – type of corn used primarily for human consumption.

Yellow corn – used generally as feed grains.  It includes all types of corn other than white.

 

Attachments: