Volume of Corn Production in Central Luzon First Quarter 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-SRCP-Q12020-073

Release Date: 

Friday, August 28, 2020

Central Luzon’s Total Corn Production Rose by 9.0 Percent

Central Luzon’s total corn production was recorded at 141,503 metric tons for the first quarter of 2020, constituting 6.2 percent of the total volume of corn production in the country.  It went up by 9.0 percent compared to that of the same quarter in 2019. Cagayan Valley reported the highest volume of corn production at 485,289 metric tons (21.1 percent share) followed by Ilocos Region with 376, 542 metric tons (16.4 percent share).  Whereas, the total volume of corn production in the country was posted at   2,296,041 metric tons (see Figure 1 and Table 1).

 

The 9.0 percent increase of Central Luzon’s volume of corn production was brought about by Pampanga’s 57.0 percent upsurge in corn production. On the other hand, the remaining six provinces recorded decreases in their volume of corn production with reference to the first quarter of 2019.  Nueva Ecija declined by 2,641 metric tons (16.5%) followed by Aurora with 2,484 metric tons (46.1%) decrement (see Table 2).

By type of corn, yellow corn comprised 90.6 percent of the region’s total corn output, and white corn constituted the remaining 9.4 percent (see Figure 2).

Yellow corn production was estimated at 128,161 metric tons in the first quarter of 2020.  It was higher by 14,025 metric tons than the 114,136 metric tons production in the first quarter of 2019.  On the other hand, white corn production recorded 2,370 metric tons decrease compared to that of the first quarter of 2019.  White corn production was recorded at 13,342 metric tons during the first quarter of 2020 (see Figure 3). 

Among the provinces in Central Luzon, Pampanga showed faster growth in corn production.  It recorded 18,593 metric tons increment in its corn production in the first quarter of 2020. Meanwhile, Tarlac remained the top producer of corn in the region having 68,561 metric tons production.  Zambales had the lowest production with 196 metric tons (see Figure 4).

TECHNICAL NOTES

Estimates of volume of corn production are generated from the Quarterly Corn Production Survey (CPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year, that is, January, April, July and October. 

The objective of the survey is to generate estimates on corn production.  The purpose of this survey is to provide data inputs for policy and programs on corn.  The reference and enumeration periods by survey round are as follows:

Definition of terms

Production – refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested during the reference period.  It includes those harvested but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvester’s share, reserved, etc.  Production from seed growers is excluded from the survey.

White corn – type of corn used primarily for human consumption.

Yellow corn – used generally as feed grains.  It includes all types of corn other than white.

 

Attachments: