The Wholesale and Retail Trade posted the highest number of establishments among sectors in the region with 55,760 establishments (47.9%), followed by the sectors on Manufacturing with 14,495 establishments (12.5%) and by Accommodation and Food Service Activities with 14,102 establishments (12.1%).
Moreover, sectors that were registered with the least number of establishments were Construction (395 establishments), Water Supply, Sewerage, Waste Management and Remediation Activities (223 establishments), Electricity, Gas, Steam and Air Conditioning Supply (152 establishments) and Mining and Quarrying (48 establishments). (See Table 1)
Among the major industries, Services improved its share from 84.6 percent in 2017 to 85.4 percent in 2018. On the other hand, Industry and Agriculture dropped in their shares by 0.5 and 0.3 percentage points, respectively. (See Figure 2)
More than half (56.1%) of establishments engaged in services were in wholesale and retail trade. While, almost ninety five percent (94.7%) of the industry establishments were from manufacturing.
Ninety percent were registered as Micro Establishments in Central Luzon
In 2018, there were 104,875 micro establishments listed in Central Luzon, an increase of 10.9 percent from the 94,579 micro establishments registered in 2017. In the same manner, small establishments increased by 27.3 percent from 8,447 in 2017 to 10,754 in 2018. Medium establishments in 2017, were registered to have a total of 303, which increased to 444 establishments in 2018. Moreover, large establishments increased by 26.2 percent from 305 establishments in 2017 to 385 establishments in 2018.
The List of Establishments (LE)
The List of Establishments (LE) of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) is a database of establishments in the Philippines (whether registered or not in any regulatory body like the SEC, CDA or DTI).
The statistical unit of the LE is the establishment. An establishment is defined as an economic unit, which engages, under a single ownership or control, i.e. under a single legal entity; in one or predominantly one kind of economic activity at a single fixed physical location. The operational definition of establishment is the unit that is engaged in the production of the most homogeneous group of goods and services, usually at one location, but sometimes over a wider area, for which separate records are available that can provide data concerning the production of these goods and services and the materials, labor and physical resources used in the production.
Scope and Coverage
LE covers economic activities under the 18 industry major divisions as defined in the amended 2009 Philippine Standard Industrial Classification (PSIC) namely:
- Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing (A)
- Mining & Quarrying (B)
- Manufacturing (C)
- Electricity, Gas, Steam, and Air Conditioning Supply (D)
- Water Supply; Sewerage, Waste Management and Remediation Activities (E)
- Construction (F)
- Wholesale & Retail Trade; Repair of Motor Vehicles Motorcycles (G)
- Transportation and Storage (H)
- Accommodation and Food Service Activities (I)
- Information and Communication (J)
- Financial and Insurance Activities (K)
- Real Estate Activities (L)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Activities (M)
- Administrative and Support Service Activities (N)
- Education (P)
- Human Health and Social Work Activities (Q)
- Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation (R)
- Other Service Activities (S)
Units not included in the LE are the following:
- Ambulant peddlers (“maglalako”) and hawkers and movable stall either along a public road or in a market place
- Open stalls in shopping centers, malls and markets
- Individual professionals and technical workers or craftsmen who do not maintain fixed offices or shops
- Construction or project sites
- Sari-sari stores with no regularly paid employee
- Retail sale via stalls and markets
- Jeepney and AUV (“FX”) operation (if without business office)
- Tricycle, calesas, pedicabs operation
- Public education services
- Public medical, dental and other health services
- Doctors’ offices or clinics in hospitals
- Medical clinics shared by at least two doctors
- Central banking (BSP)
- Government administrative and judicial offices; military and police camps and installations; government offices engaged in construction work
- Business associations, employers’ organizations, religious organizations, places of worship, political organizations and other membership organizations
- Extra-territorial Organization and Bodies (World Health Organization, UNESCO, etc.)
Employment Groupings (MSME)
Establishments may be group according to its employment size, Micro has 1 – 9 employees; Small, 10 – 99 employees, Medium, 100 – 199 employees, and Large, 200 and over employees.