2017 Volume of Corn Production in Central Luzon

Reference Number: 

2018-07

Release Date: 

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Annual volume of corn production in Central Luzon slightly decreased by 0.3 percent

In 2017, Central Luzon ranked 8th among the regions in terms of volume of corn production. Cagayan Valley, on the other hand, continued to be the top producer of corn in the country followed by Northern Mindanao (Figure 1).

The annual volume of corn production in Central Luzon was 258,746 metric tons in 2017. It slightly decreased by 0.3 percent compared to previous year’s level of 259,546 metric tons.

Figure 1. Volume of Corn Production by Region, Philippines: 2017
(In metric ton)

Of the total volume of corn production in the region, 85.6 percent were yellow corn and 14.4 percent were white corn. The volume of yellow corn production in 2017 was estimated at 221,558 metric tons, a decline of 3.0 percent from 228,330 metric tons in 2016. Meanwhile, the volume of white corn production increased by 19.1 percent from 31,216 metric tons in 2016 to 37,188 metric tons in 2017 (Figure 2).

Figure 2. Volume of Corn Production by Type of Corn, Central Luzon: 2016-2017
(In metric ton)

In 2017, harvesting of corn in the region was at its peak during the second quarter with an estimated 119,195 metric tons volume of production (Figure 3) which accounted for 46.1 percent share to the total volume of production during the year. This was followed by the first quarter volume of production which accounted for 43.4 percent share to the total volume of production of corn in the region.

Comparing with the 2016 levels of production, the second and fourth quarters production of corn in 2017 decreased by 1,611 metric tons (1.3 percent) and 622 metric tons (11.0 percent), respectively. On the other hand, production during the first and third quarters of 2017 increased by 0.6 and 3.7 percent, respectively.

Figure 3. Volume of Corn Production by Quarter, Central Luzon: 2016-2017 
(In metric ton)

Of the seven (7) provinces in the region, Tarlac remained to be the top producer of corn. The volume of corn production in the province was estimated at 124,368 metric tons contributing 48.1 percent to the total volume of production in the region. Next to Tarlac was Pampanga with 60,805 metric tons production sharing 23.5 percent to the total corn production in the region (Figure 4). The remaining 28.4 percent of the total corn production in the region came from Nueva Ecija, Aurora, Bataan, Bulacan and Zambales.

Figure 4. Annual Volume of Corn Production by Province, Central Luzon: 2017
(In metric ton)

Table 1 presents the volume of corn production by province and period in 2017 and 2016. The bulk of the corn was always harvested during the first half of each year. In 2017, 89.4 percent was harvested in the first semester and the remaining 10.6 percent was harvested in the second semester. The same pattern was observed in 2016 in which 89.5 percent was harvested in the first semester and the remaining 10.5 percent during the second half of the year.

Table 1. Volume of Corn Production by Province and Period, Central Luzon: 2016-2017
(In metric ton)
 
 
 
 
 
 

TECHNICAL NOTES

Estimates of volume of corn production are generated from the Quarterly Corn Production Survey (CPS) of which there are four survey rounds in a year, that is, January, April, July and October. The objective of the survey is to generate estimates on corn production. The purpose of this survey is to provide data inputs for policy and programs on corn. The reference and enumeration periods by survey round are as follows:

 

Definition of terms

Production – refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested during the reference period. It includes those harvested but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvester’s share, reserved, etc. Production from seed growers is excluded from the survey.
White corn – type of corn used primarily for human consumption.
Yellow corn – used generally as feed grains. It includes all types of corn other than white.
 
 
Source of corn clipart: gallery.yopriceville.com

Attachments: